18 September 2016

Fortune Cookies

Last night my family and I enjoyed a great get-together over a huge meal of Chinese food. As you know, at the end of such a meal, folks will open their fortune cookies.

Here are ours:
1. The best times of your life have not yet been lived.
2. Do onto [sic] others as you wish others do onto [sic] you.
3. Try your best to avoid arguing with your elders and superiors.
4. There is no fear for the one whose thought is not confused.
5. Winning starts with beginning.

The oldest person (85) in the room got #1. Everyone laughed and wondered how that could be possible and what did it say about everything that had happened in his life up to now.

I got #2. I wish I could get that one right more often.

The other three "fortunes" strike me as something to spend more time writing about. What's up for me now is #3. I think it's time I actually start pushing that boundary. Not arguing per se, but moving past the quiescent underling role I feel I should maintain and toward being someone who questions more and, for lack of a better way to say it, refuses to die for the job. A career should bring joy, just as one seeks joy in a career.

"There is no fear for the whose thought is not confused." That sounds a lot like President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's line, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." But more so, like how clarity shines a light through the darkness of confusion. Fear is disorder like a hoarder's house; having thoughts that are not confused is like a straight path in sunlight.

Finally ... "winning starts with beginning." Yes. It also cannot be upheld without perseverance.

Next time: Addressing "the best times of your life have not yet been lived" and my idea that, in some way or another, we all live in a world of make-believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment