05 October 2011

Raising a Puppy - Successes!

Just a quick post. Things are going great with Gem! Amazing! We've been going to class out at Dog Days Training Center in Berthoud, and Gemmie's going to be boarding out there again while I am in Minneapolis at my company's annual meeting. I'm looking forward to seeing what else he can learn.

For now: No biting when we're walking! The corrective collar (called a "good dog collar" although I have nicknamed it the "bad dog collar") has really made a difference, as had the training I have received. I know how to catch Gem at the beginning of negative behavior and "nip it in the bud" rather than react once he's in full "red zone" (well, maybe "orange zone" is a better description) mode.

Gem and I are developing a much healthier relationship. I no longer feel afraid and out of control. He gets to feel successful often and consistently disciplined. We're establishing a pattern and a routine, and we're going on longer walks to new places because I have the confidence that I can handle whatever comes up. We're trusting each other, and enjoying each other.

Next on the list: Getting him to GIVE me whatever he has in his mouth the first time I ask for it. His favorite, big ticket item: plastic bags. Oh, and my nightgown...

No comments:

Post a Comment